Remembering Angela Chibalonza 12 Years Later

On 22nd September this year, it will be exactly 12 years since gospel musician Angela Chibalonza died.

Although Angela died in 2007 in a road crash on the Naivasha-Nairobi highway, she will forever be remembered through her music as one of the prolific Congolese gospel artist to ever live.

In a 2018 interview on KUTV, the lone survivor in the fatal accident and Angela Chibalonza’s dancer John Isaji recounted the last events before the musicians death.

Angela was set to perform at Egerton University but since it was late, she had second thoughts about traveling for the concert.

However, the students in the Njoro-based institution would hear none of it and therefore the “Ebeneza” hit maker was forced to travel.

Recounting the details of the last events before the accident, the lone survivor indicated that Angela was worried that she would miss a 7am flight.

While she was planning to avoid attending the concert, Egerton University students went on the rampage and therefore she decided to go in order to avoid negative publicity.

‘’She protected her image, she protected God’s work so she said we must go,’’ Isaji narrated.

As they prepared to leave, her house keys went missing and she had to be broken out of her own house.

After a successful concert that went into the wee hours of the night, Isaji alerted her of the time while trying to get her off stage but she had other plans in mind.

Adamant, she told her former dancer that she cannot leave the stage without praying for the students first.

‘’You don’t know if today is your last day, you never know if Jesus will call you today. If you die today where will you go?’’ She posed to the crowd.

After it was all done and dusted the crew started making their way back to Nairobi.

Upon reaching Nakuru, Chibalonza proposed that Isaji should give the wheels to another driver since he was tired. Reluctant, he did not.

Waking up when they had reached Gilgil, Chibalonza who had been asleep on their way insisted that Isaji should take a back step and let someone else drive which he did.

Moving to the back of the car, he dozed off as another driver took charge.

In Limuru, Isaji was woken up by screams after the car they were in rammed into a lorry from behind slicing off the car’s roof.

The only survivor in the grizzly road accident, Isaji was rushed to Kijabe hospital after suffering a spinal injury.

The doctors told him he would only be able to walk after 10 years but miraculously managed to beat the odds.

He is now a pastor.

The late Angela is survived by her husband and daughter.

About The Campus Lady216 Articles
TheCampusLady.Com is Kenya's #1 community for college and university women. For articles, send us an email on: To feature on The Campus Lady, or have a tip? WhatsApp us on: +254708010163. Take Charge and be part of the community!

Be the first to comment