An Australian boyfriend to a Kenyatta University students is one of the foreign victims of the Tuesday afternoon terrorist attack at DusitD2.
He landed in Kenya from Australia on Sunday morning, checked in at DusitD2 complex in the evening and on Tuesday, he met his death.
This will forever haunt his girlfriend, Esynovian Meli whom he had travelled 10,606 kilometres to come and see. It was his first time in Kenya.
After spending the night together, she left for a lecture at Kenyatta University and promised to catch up with him later so they go swimming at an upmarket hotel.
“We had the last conversation at about 12pm on Tuesday, then I went for my lecture when I was out I got eight of his missed calls. I tried calling back but I could find him on phone,” says Ms Meli.
Upon logging in to her WhatsApp to check the last time he was online, she found out that the hotel the boyfriend checked in had been attacked.
“I took a motorbike to the hotel but I could not get in. I went to all hospitals where the survivors were rushed to but could not find him. When I went Chiromo mortuary on Wednesday morning and he was among the victims,” wept Ms Meli.
A sombre mood, confusion and cries dominated the quiet corridors of Chiromo mortuary as friends and loved ones thronged the facility to identify the bodies their loved ones.
Ms Meli, who is studying fashion and design, had planned to go to Naivasha for a nature tour on Friday together with the boyfriend.
I Insisted he checks into DusitD2
“My boyfriend wanted to go to a different hotel but I insisted that he checks into DusitD2 complex since is next to our hostels and was more convenient. My boyfriend is no more,” says the 24-year-old Meli.
He had plans to visit Meli’s parents in readiness for their engagement before going back. He was to go back on January 25.
The two met through a common friend.
“My boyfriend, a housing consultant in Australia, had great plans. It is very unfortunate that he had to die such a painful death. I have given his details to the Australian embassy,” she said.
According to an insider at the mortuary, by 12pm, 13 bodies had been received. Eleven were Kenyan, one was American and one was British.
President Uhuru Kenyatta in his State of the Nation address yesterday indicated that 14 Kenyans were killed. Later in the evening, police boss Joseph Boinnet said the death toll had risen to 21.